Sunday, July 31, 2011

Net Galley Review: The Marked Son


Net Galley Review: The Marked Son
Title: The Marked Son
SubTitle : Keepers of Life, #1
Publisher: Entangled Publishing, LLC
Pub Date: 08/02/2011
ISBN: 9781937044015
Author: Shea Berkley
Category: FICTION - ADULT: Romance: Fantasy

            “I don’t look like you.  I don’t look like them.  I’ve got to look like someone.  I’ve got to be like someone. So, who is it?”
            Her face sinks into an unattractive pinch. “No one they know.”
            I spot her bags, still packed on the bed.  She follows my gaze and whispers, “Don’t push me, Dylan. You’ll know soon enough.”  Pg. 31
            At seventeen years old, Dylan Kennedy is disgusted by life. He is forced to live with his unstable and emotionally fragile mother who needs more guidance and supervision than her teenage son.  After being dumped at his grandparents’ sheep farm, Dylan starts to see strange things, including what he believes to be a beautiful ghost that haunts his dreams.  While in the woods, Dylan meets his ghost Kera, and they instantly sense the powerful connection between them. 
           
      For the first time in his life, Dylan experiences unconditional love, but it is challenged immediately when Kera crosses a magical barrier to Teag, where humans are not welcome.  Confusion complicates their seemingly impossible relationship, and as the two desperately struggle to be together, Dylan learns the answer to why he has always felt like a stranger in his own skin.  Preparation, precaution, and precision are the tools needed to fight to save the love that Kera and Dylan long for. Will it be enough to stop the dark powers that have vowed to destroy them?

            The Marked Son is a story filled with action and adventure, mystery and romance. The unpredictability of the plot makes it a fascinating read, and more than once I found myself gripping the book as trees swallowed up enemies and magical creatures glowed with power.  It introduced me to a magical world I have never experienced before, and combined with the strength of the characters, the story captivated me.

I give this book an A for its originality and imagination.