Sunday, July 24, 2011

Net Galley Review: The Girl of Fire and Thorns



Net Galley Book Review: The Girl of Fire and Thorns
Publisher: HarperCollins
Imprint: HarperTeen
Pub Date:09/20/2011
ISBN: 9780062026484
Author: Rae Carson
Category:  FICTION - JUVENILE: Science Fiction, Fantasy, & Magic

            “Juana-Alodia was the first to toddle over after it faded.  Your sister peeled back the wet swaddling and we saw the Godstone lodged in your belly button, warm and alive but blue and faceted, hard as a diamond. That’s when we decided to name you Lucero-Elisa” Heavenly light, chosen of God.  His words suffocated me as surely as his embrace. All my life, I’ve been reminded that I am destined for Service…pg. 13

            Sixteen-year-old Elisa was born with purpose, one chosen for her by God. Although she knew she was precious as the bearer of a Godstone, she was kept ignorant of the stone’s history, power, and abilities.  She is secretly married and taken away to be queen, but although she carries with her living proof that she is special, her large frame and awkward body keep her insecure and unsure about herself. Her new husband encourages her insecurities, ignoring her as a wife and avoiding her company.
            Others around her do not underestimate her power, and after Elisa is kidnapped, she is challenged both mentally and physically, as she represents hope to ending a savage war. As Elisa seeks the truth about her Godstone, she also experiences what it feels like to be truly desired as a woman. With her newfound knowledge and confidence, Elisa selflessly places herself in harms way to solve the divine puzzle of the Godstones and defeat the enemies that seek to annihilate everyone Elisa has sworn to protect.
            The Girl of Fire and Thorns was a complete surprise for me.  As I first started reading, I felt sorry for Elisa, wanting her to be strong right away, not weak and insecure. As I kept reading, I realized that she was strong; in fact, Elisa was a true heroine from the very first page. I had underestimated her character, and by the end of the book, I was cheering her on. This story provided action, suspense, and surprise. One minute I had the chills~ the next moment tears. It is a book that reminds you that true beauty and strength come from inside, and this is a message that everyone will be reminded of as they travel through sandstorms and deserts with Elisa. I loved it- every page.

I give this book an A+ : For introducing one of the strongest female literary characters I have ever met.