Sunday, February 12, 2012

Net Galley Review: Lies Beneath

Title: Lies Beneath
Publisher: Random House Children’s Books
Pub Date: June 12, 2012
ISBN: 9780385742016
Author: Anne Greenwood Brown

            “Do you think it’s warm enough to swim? She asked.
            “For you, maybe.” I said. “You have a higher tolerance than anyone I’ve ever met.”
            “Including you?”
            “Definitely including me. I’ll be staying on the beach.”
            “Oh, don’t be such a baby.”
            “We’ll see.” I took a risk and grabbed her hand. The familiar tingling sensation tickled up my arm to my heart, and the fluorescent pink glow pulsed out of her shoulders, spreading over her body like a perfect outline. I dropped her hand, and the glow dimmed to a rust-colored shadow. Interesting. She was happier when I held her hand. Pg. 159


Calder White is a legend…literally! As a merman, Calder sees humans as “Happy, shiny lures” full of optimism, excitement, and joy, all emotions he cannot personally experience.  While drowning a victim, Calder absorbs the vibrant human auras into his skin, stealing the warmth and joy from their hearts into his own.  Calder is not alone; he lives part of the year with his 3 sisters, and as they return to Lake Superior for the winter, revenge is on their minds.  Jason Hancock is their target, for he is responsible for their mother’s death. The plan is simple: Calder must make the acquaintance of Jason’s daughter Lily and use her as bait. Even though his only responsibility is seduction, murder, and mayhem, he strays from the plan. Instead of eliminating Jason Hancock's daughter, he falls in love.

Now Calder is forced to choose between the only family he has ever known and the girl he loves. The mental thread that binds the mermaids together is strong, but the unexpected lure of love tempts Calder to forget revenge and focus on the freedom that only forgiveness can bring.

Lies Beneath is an entertaining read with a fresh take on the legends of mermaids.  I wasn’t sure I would like the idea of “aura sucking” merpeople, but with Calder, it totally works. From the start he fights the temptation to kill, knowing that abstinence would eventually force him to hunt again. His struggle with his own morality makes him an extremely likable character, and I found myself cheering on the relationship between Calder and Lily.  This book combines the magic of mermaids with the mystery of unexpected love- making it the perfect read for tweens and teens everywhere.